Tuesday, August 09, 2005

As I am by no means a seasoned runner, I have decided to follow, more or less, a program developed by Jeff Galloway for novice runners with some prior running experience. The basis of the Galloway training program for those who aren't familiar with it is the run/walk. Runners are encouraged to take walk breaks at regular intervals throughout their long training runs as well as in the marathon itself.
There are many claims made about the efficacy of this method on both sides of the debate, and frankly I think both sides are just a little too wound up over the whole thing.
Galloway claims that even elite runners have used his method to shave time off of their performances due to their increased stamina and ability to maintain a consistent pace throughout the race. I can see where this comes from, but I don't believe that an elite marathoner would benefit from letting all of his competitors pass him by while he stops for a little walk break.
Runners on the other side of the debate claim that the adherents to this method (often referred to as "Gallowalkers") are not true marathoners and do not have the right to claim that they "ran" a marathon. To me, this is a ridiculous distinction. There are many people, not solely "Gallowalkers", who walk for some portion of their marathon. Whether it is walking through the aid stations to drink, or walking the last few miles because they bonked, the fact is that these people completed a 26.2 mile race on foot. I've never made a good purist.
As far as I'm concerned, the benefits of this program outweigh the sissy factor. At 31 I'm starting to be a little more concerned about injuries than I have been in the past, and I really don't care that much about the time that it takes me to finish. I know that I'll probably be somewhere in the lower middle for my age group, and that's fine.
Since I have been using this program I have been amazed at how much better I feel before, during, and after my runs. Once I got over my preoccupation with posting good times or bettering my past performaces I was able to relax and enjoy what the run had to offer in terms of scenery, solitude, and a general sense of discovery.

View Galloway's Marathon Training Schedule